Vegetarian West African Peanut Soup
Spicy and Sweet satisfying Vegan Soup.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 35
- Total Time: 45
- Yield: 6
- 6 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 bunch collard greens (or kale), ribs removed and leaves chopped into 1-inch strips
- ¾ cup unsalted peanut butter (chunky or smooth)
- ½ cup tomato paste*
- Hot sauce, like sriracha (AKA rooster sauce)
- ¼ cup roughly chopped peanuts, for garnish
- In a medium Dutch oven or stock pot, bring the broth to a boil. Add the onion, ginger, garlic and salt. Cook on medium-low heat for 20 minutes.
- In a medium-sized, heat-safe mixing bowl, combine the peanut butter and tomato paste, then transfer 1 to 2 cups of the hot stock to the bowl.
- Whisk the mixture together until smooth, then pour the peanut mixture back into the soup and mix well.
- Stir in the collard greens and season the soup with hot sauce to taste.
- Simmer for about 15 more minutes on medium-low heat, stirring often.
- Serve over cooked brown rice if you’d like, and top with a sprinkle of chopped peanuts.
- I added two extra cups of veggie broth as I thought the peanut butter taste was a little too strong for my liking.